Dawkins, Philadelphia Delegation members protest police brutality
HARRISBURG, June 8– Today, state Rep. Jason Dawkins and other members of the House Philadelphia Delegation joined a protest on the speaker’s rostrum against police brutality.
“The recent death of George Floyd has served as a hurtful reminder of the injustices that exist throughout our society,” Dawkins said. “People in our communities are understandably sad and angry. We need to show people across the commonwealth that the House stands committed to ending racism across our state.”
“The world we are fighting for- one with healthy, fully funded schools, healthcare, and housing for all, one where our government serves people over profits, where our neighborhoods experience safety without trauma and injustice- the only way that world is possible is if we dismantle the structural racism that upholds these current systems,” Rep. Fiedler, D-Phila. and delegation secretary, said.
“For 13 days, folks have been protesting in the streets, demanding that we actually do something. Now we are here demanding the same thing,” Rep. Kenyatta, D-Phila., and delegation vice chairman, said. “We demand that we get meaningful police reform passed out of the Pennsylvania House. It’s the people’s house, and if we ain’t doing the people’s business, then we ain’t doing business.”
Following the protest, House Speaker Mike Turzai, R-Allegheny, said he would welcome a special session on police reform.
The protest was planned by House members on the Police Reform Working Group, which also includes the chief defender of the Defender Association of Philadelphia, as well as several attorneys. Last week, the group put forward several proposals to address law enforcement misconduct and police-community relations.
The full Police Reform Working Group includes:
- House Democratic Whip Jordan Harris
- House Democratic Chairwoman Joanna McClinton
- House Philadelphia Delegation Chairman Jason Dawkins
- Pennsylvania Legislative Black Caucus Chairman Stephen Kinsey
- State Rep. Donna Bullock, D-Phila.
- State Rep. Danilo Burgos, D-Phila.
- State Rep. Morgan Cephas, D-Phila.
- State Rep. Austin Davis, D-Allegheny.
- State Rep. Ed Gainey, D-Allegheny.
- State Rep. Malcolm Kenyatta, D-Phila.
- State Rep. Summer Lee, D-Allegheny.
- State Rep. Chris Rabb, D-Phila.
- State Rep. Jake Wheatley, D-Allegheny.
- Philadelphia Councilmember-At-Large Kendra Brooks.
- Philadelphia Councilmember Kenyatta Johnson.
- Philadelphia Councilmember-At-Large Katherine Gilmore Richardson.
- Philadelphia Councilmember-At-Large Isaiah Thomas.
- Keir Bradford-Grey, Chief Defender of the Defender Association of Philadelphia.
- Attorney Kevin Harden Jr.
- Attorney Kevin Mincey, Mincey Fitzpatrick Ross, LLC.