Rep. Mike Hanna's Biography
Born in Lock Haven, Representative Mike Hanna has served the people of the 76th Legislative District, which consists of Clinton County and parts of Centre County, since 1991. He and his wife Susan reside in Lock Haven and they are the proud parents of two sons, Michael, Jr. and Kevin.
Hanna graduated from Lock Haven High School in 1971 and went on to earn his Bachelor of Arts degree from Lock Haven University. Hanna went on to earn his Juris Doctorate from the University of Pittsburgh in 1980.
Rep. Hanna practiced law for 10 years before being elected to represent the 76th Legislative District. Hanna's full-time law practice focused on Family Law and Civil and Criminal trial work. Hanna maintains a small business, estate, and real estate practice.
Hanna's interest in government began with his involvement in student government in high school and continued during college and law school. During his time as representative, Rep. Hanna has focused on economic opportunity, improving education, and government reform. Rep. Hanna has brought important funding back to the district for projects benefitting the area. He has obtained funding for such local initiatives as the Benner and Lamar Township Business Parks, Durrwachter Alumni Conference Center, Pedestrian Mall, and First Quality through the Capital Budget.
As former Chairman of the House Agriculture and Rural Affairs Committee, he shepherded the passage of three critical bills: Dog Law, Food Safety, and Clean & Green.
Hanna was re-elected House Democratic Whip for the 2017-18 legislative session. As Whip, Hanna is the second-ranking leader in the House, assisting party leaders in coordinating the caucus in its responses to legislation and other matters, and developing the agenda.
Representative Hanna also serves on the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education's Board of Governors (PASSHE). He is a past member of the Board of Directors for the Center for Rural PA, past member of the PA Parks and Forest Foundation Board of Directors, past member of the LHU Alumni Board and Foundation. Rep. Hanna also served on the Lock Haven University Council of Trustees.
Rep Hanna has received the following awards and honors throughout his career:
- Honorary Doctorate of Public Service from Lock Haven University- 2009
- Acid Mine Drainage Restoration Advocate Award from Kettle Creek Watershed Association & Trout Unlimited- 2009
- The PSU Friend of Extension- 2009
- The Frank D O'Reilly Memorial Award from the Clinton County Economic Partnership- 2004
- The Jefferson Award from Penn Ag Democrats- 2009
- Lock Haven University Distinguished Alumni Award- 1992
- Hanna is also involved in the community. Rep. Hanna is involved with the Lions Club, past Chair of the Clinton County Sesquicentennial, and the Board of Directors for the Lock Haven Sesquicentennial. He is also past president of the Jaycees.